Very interesting article on http://www.walesonline.co.uk documenting the truth behind “The five second rule”
A germ expert said food is unlikely to have picked up harmful bacteria from spending a few seconds on an indoor floor. Scientists say the so-called ‘five-second’ rule for dropped food is actually correct. Many of us abide by the rule and while we hoped it was safe, science has now confirmed it almost always is.
A survey of 2,000 people found 79% of us admit to eating food that has fallen on the floor.
Germ expert Professor Anthony Hilton, from Aston University, said: “Eating food that has spent a few moments on the floor can never be entirely risk-free.
“Obviously, food covered in visible dirt shouldn’t be eaten, but as long as it’s not obviously contaminated, the science shows that food is unlikely to have picked up harmful bacteria from a few seconds spent on an indoor floor”.
“That is not to say that germs can’t transfer from the floor to the food”.
“Our research has shown that the nature of the floor surface, the type of food dropped on the floor and the length of time it spends on the floor can all have an impact on the number that can transfer.”
Prof Hilton demonstrated the science behind the ‘five-second rule’ at The Big Bang Fair – a a celebration of science, technology, engineering and maths for young people in Birmingham.
The findings come from a 2014 study, led by Prof Hilton, that looked at how many staph and E.coli bacteria were picked up by toast, pasta, biscuits and sticky sweets between three and 30 seconds on the floor.
Prof Hilton said at the time: “The findings of this study will bring some light relief to those who have been employing the five-second rule for years, despite a general consensus that it is purely a myth.”
LINK : http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/scientists-say-five-second-rule-12743788#ICID=FB-Wales-main